300g firm tofu, cut into pieces
2 large King oyster mushroom, sliced thickly
150g Shimeji mushrooms, cut off the end bits
100g button mushroom, sliced thickly
1 knob of ginger, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp oil (approx)
125ml water (approx)
1/2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water, for thickening
1/2 cup Thai basil
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper, to taste
- Pressed tofu pieces in between paper towels to remove excess water. Heat about 2 tbsp oil in the wok and brown the tofu. Dish out and set aside.
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil in the wok and saute the chopped ginger and garlic until aromatic. Add in the King oyster mushroom and do a quick stir fry before tossing in the rest of the mushrooms.
- Add in water and all the seasonings. Cover the wok and bring it to the boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in the fried tofu and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- To thicken the gravy, add in the cornstarch mixture. Toss in the basil and give a quick stir to combine.
- Dish out and serve immediately.