When Poh made Cubic Noodles in MasterChef-All-Stars recently it brings back memories of the popular street food in Malaysia - Char Kuih Kak or fried Loh Bak Go (Radish Cake).
Ingredients for the cubic noodles (rice cake): I halved the recipe from my Chwee Kueh recipe (Serves 3)
110g rice flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour (or cornflour)
1 tbsp wheat starch
1/2 cup cold water
1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl combine rice flour, tapioca flour, wheat starch, salt and cold water together. Stir in oil.
- Pour boiling water into the batter and stir until batter is smooth.
- Pour into a 17cm round pan and steam over boiling water for about 25 minutes or until cooked.
- Cool the rice cake thoroughly before cutting into cubes.
Ingredients for frying cubic noodles:
3 tbsp chopped pickled radish (chai poh)
3 cloves garlic, minced
a few sprigs of chinese parsley
beansprouts (about 3 handfuls)
Seasoning: (to taste)
dark soy sauce
light soy sauce
salt & pepper
- With about 2 tbsp of oil, pan fry the cubic noodles until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Stir fry the pickled radish and garlic until aromatic.
- Return the cubic noodles to the wok.
- Push the cubic noodles to the side of the wok then crack eggs into the centre and scramble until egg is just set.
- Pour in seasoning. Toss well to combine.
- Finally add in beansprouts and chinese parsley. Toss until well combined and heated through.
- Serve while it is hot.